Generator De-Gassing & Purging: Best Practices for Safe Plant Operation
Environment One Corporation
Worldwide, it is estimated that nearly 70% of all electric power generators over 60MW use hydrogen as the cooling medium. Hydrogen poses significant challenges to owners, operators, and maintenance personnel from the standpoint of safety, risk mitigation, and demands for increasing efficiency. Recent catastrophic events have reinforced the critical importance of safety and risk mitigation strategies in power plants worldwide. This presentation discusses the challenges that today’s power plant operators are faced with, including the reduction of well-trained plant personnel and planning for emergencies. Best practices in generator purging and leak detection will be covered, as well as a review of the critical auxiliary equipment associated with the generator purging process and important considerations for automating the purge process.
Director of Products & Markets – Africa and Asia
Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering — Stevens Institute of Technology
Gus joined Environment One Corporation in 2008.
His previous business experience includes Director of Engineering for the company’s Utility Systems Business where he led product support and new product development. In his current role Gus works extensively with clients across Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
- 22+ years’ experience in the power industry
- Directed system engineering, product verification, and engineering field support for emerging fuel cell system manufacturer
- Holds 3 patents on controls optimization of reformer based hydrogen fuel cell systems
- Conducted market, system and compliance analysis in support of first commercial fuel cell installation in South Africa
- Managed the design and project activity on 120+ custom generator condition monitoring skids and panels
- Extensive certification experience leading to products that received 11 notified body certificates in support of ATEX, cETLus, IECEx, GOST-R, Metrology, PED, CRN and KC Mark
- Authored and presented several webinars, technical papers and presentations for E/One’s Utility Systems Business